You look in the mirror and think, what body type am I? There are various women body types and you certainly fit into one of them. Perhaps not textbook, but roughly.
These indicators should help you dress for your shape and determine what looks best on your body.
There are many different types of bodies and some clothed will look better on certain shapes.
Women Body Types
These are some tips for learning how to dress for your body type.
First, look at your curves, giiirrllll!! What do you see??
Do you find you’re curvier on the bottom, heavier on top, pretty much equal everywhere, or you see it all even out with a ton of curves, up down and everywhere else (lucky b!%@*…lol).
Second, take measurement of your bust, waist, and hips. From there, it will give you an idea of your clothes size, though may that may vary from brand to brand.
Remember that all body types can look amazing, regardless of how you internally feel about it IF you choose the right clothes for your shape.
You can view all dresses here to see what best suits your styles and body type.
Exercise and diet
I don’t have to tell you, but proper dieting and exercising surely helps in shaping up your body and possibly accentuating some of your best assets. Now who doesn’t want that??
Bear in mind that women body types DON’T change with exercise but they are modified by building more muscle, tightening up, and shedding fat.
While it may seem like subtle changes, they make a whole whack a diff! So it’s worth taking up if you’re serious about improving your health and shape.
The leanest areas will be the first places to shed the most weight as you likely carry less fat cells in these areas. The heavier places will seem stagnant but in fact they are slowly shaping up, though they may require more work than your leaner areas.
The Shapes of Women Body Types
You’re an apple shape if your:
- top is heavy
- bust is at least three inches bigger than the hips
- most of the body weight is centred around the chest and midsection
- waistline may not be defined
- legs are slimmer
So how do you dress for an apple shape?? You’ll need to take the attention away from the midsection by:
- drawing the eye away from both the waist and arms with long sleeves
- wearing a v-neck to define the bust
- investing in flared pants to balance out the shoulders and upper body
- wearing your pants below the hipbone
- opting for darker colours to cover a heavier top
You’re a pear shape (like me!!) if your:
- hips are larger than bust
- lower body is heavier than the top
- shoulders are narrow
- curves standout
- legs are fuller than the rest of the body
You want the eye to be drawn towards the top. To do that, focus on:
- the shoulders by wearing tops that show them off
- minimizing the lower half of the body by avoiding wearing light colours on the bottom.
- enhancing your bust size by wearing a bra with padding
- Tapered leg is ok to wear if you’re wearing a looser top, but straight leg and flared pants look best
You’re a rectangular shape if:
- the waist is the same as the hips and the bust
- there aren’t many curves from the top of you to the bottom
- you have a curvy butt or not and a slightly wider chest or not
To create curvature, do the following:
- add a belt to clothing to give the appearance of curves
- include ruffles as they look best on for your shape and will make the hips and chest look bigger
- don’t wear mens’ styles such as baggy jeans
- opt for skinny jeans, tights and miniskirts to show off the great legs you have
- shapewear can enhance the bust
You’re an hourglass shape if:
- your bust and hips are about equal
- your waist is narrow and well defined
- the curves are in all the right places
To accentuate your already accentuated body (lucky gal), ensure:
- the waist the focal point, belts are great for that
- that the clothes are snug at the waist
- that shapeless clothing are not part of your dictionary as that will add to the midsection and make you appear heavier
- to find a supportive bra for the bust line
- to wear V-neck as it flatters your shape
The Gist of it
Women body types are different but there’s something to wear and consider for everyone to look their absolute best. Knowing what to accentuate and what to hide is key to looking amazing.
Don’t forget that diet and exercise will help enhance your assets and make clothes fit better.
Following these tips should make you feel more confident about your wardrobe choices. What’s your dressing tip for your body type?
P.S. If you enjoyed this post, sign up to my newsletter to get the latest advice, tips, giveaways and freebies right into your inbox!
This is Grace
Grace from Color & Grace. Based in Troy, Michigan, Grace is a 42 year-old petite woman who loves colours. Born and raised in China, she moved to America for love in 2007. Her day job – teacher. Her dream job – fashion blogger. Make sure to go and check out her blog and leave her a comment on her awesome outfit.
Make Sure to Follow Your Host
- Bloglovin: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
- Google +: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
- Instagram: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
Here’s a list of the linkups I link to and you can sign up for the link up there.
It’s Time for You to Link up