I’ve been wanting to share this easy and cheap Ikea hack for a while. It’s my sheepskin fur stool DIY. Before you leave, make sure to check out the giveaway of $150 visa gift car that I am running on Instagram. It’s holiday time and this is the perfect timing to win!
Hunting for a Fur Stool
One day on one of my home decor shopping trips when I was furnishing my home, I found a gorgeous fur stool that I absolutely loved. I picked it up to see the price and it was unattractive for my wallet. When I went home I was still thinking of it, which meant I wanted it. I tried to figure out ways to get it without spending a hefty price. A while back, I listed a few tips about how you can get the designer look for your home without spending a ton of money. I decided to put my own advice to good use.
So as I was cleaning and dusting, I found a foot stool, natural wood, untouched, screaming for a purpose. And a purpose I found for it. It became my the foot stool I was seeking for my sheepskin fur stool DIY project.
Hacking the Fur Stool
Now that I had my base, I needed to create. That wasn’t a problem since I’ve upholstered furniture before. But I needed to create some cushioning underneath it.
What You Need To Get Started
- Ikea wood foot stool
- Ikea sheepskin rug (faux or real, in the colour of your preference)
- Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Latex in Flat White (for legs, colour of your preference)
- Loew Brush Set
- Assorted-Grit 5-Sheet Sandpaper, 9″ x 11″
- Fabric Scissors with Comfort Grip
- Rag to clean the stool after sanding
- Eco-Friendly Recycled Polyester Fiber filling
- Stanley SharpShooter Heavy-Duty Staple/Nail Gun
Steps to Hack The Foot Stool
- Sand the tool with the sand paper and clean it with the rag to get it ready for the paint
- Paint the legs only with the brush. Let it dry and go over it with another coat if needed. Let it dry
- Place the sheepskin rug upside down and place the stool top over it.
- Draw out the area of the top of the stool with a pencil leaving 3-4″ of seam allowance around it
- Cut around the shape you drew. Put it aside.
- Take one piece of the upholstery stuffing that’s 2-3 times the width of the top of the stool. Repeat the process to get the desired puffiness.
- Fold it and make sure it spreads across all edges so it kind of wraps around the entire top part except the underneath the stool where the legs are connected.
- Part of the stuffing will wrap around the legs. You can either leave it to eventually cover it with the rug that will go over it or cut around the leg so nothing hangs.
- With the stuffing still on the stool, place the sheepskin rug piece you cut out over the stuffing covering it all to secure it from the bottom of the stool where the legs connect.
- The parts of the sheepskin rug around the legs will wrap around the legs just as the stuffing did. You can cut it or leave it depending on what your decision was for the stuffing.
- As you secure the rug, staple at 1.5″-2″ intervals around the rug from underneath the stool where the legs connect ensuring that the stuffing remains inside the rug.
- Once you’ve finished stapling, turn it around and fix it so the stuffing is puffy
That’s it, you’re done!! Isn’t it lovely?
Recently I had purchased a pair of stools, not foot stools as I found them at a good price. Initially I was going to DIY it again but since the price was right, I decided it was worth the investment.
The Gist of it
To IKEA hack a fur stool all you need are a few items and a couple hours of your time to get a beautiful foot stool that you can proudly display in your home. Another easy DIY idea that you can quickly reproduce.
How do you like fur stools? Is it something you’d incorporate into your decor?
P.S. If you enjoyed this post, you might like to receive my fashion, beauty, fitness, home décor, and DIY tips and tricks that will save your life right into your inbox! Get a free health hacks download when you sign up!
Giveaway Time – Want a $150 Visa Gift Card?
I teamed up with some of my friends to give away a $150 Visa gift card to a lucky person! Here’s how to enter:
- Follow me on @raniastylist
- Like this post (below)
- Go to @terrigardner_meadowtree‘s page
- When you make it back to my profile, you’ve completed the loop!
- Giveaway runs from 11/14 6pm PST to 11/24 6pm PST
- The winner will be announced within 24 hours after giveaway has ended.
- At the time of drawing, winner must have account set to PUBLIC so we can verify you are following everyone in the loop and have performed giveaway tasks.
- The winner has 48 hours to claim the prize.
- International entries are welcome but are responsible for shipping fees, if applicable.
This is Grace
Grace from Color & Grace. Based in Troy, Michigan, Grace is a 41 year-old petite woman who loves colours. Born and raised in China, she moved to America for love in 2007. Her day job – teacher. Her dream job – fashion blogger. Make sure to go and check out her blog and leave her a comment on her awesome outfit.
It’s Time for You to Link up
Make Sure to Follow Your Host
- Bloglovin: Grace & The WardrobeStylist
- Google +: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
- Instagram: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
Here’s a list of the linkups I link to. You can also sign up for the link up there.