Bollywood sarees are an epitome of grace and style. Not only do they make you look beautiful, but also accentuate the curves of a woman’s body. I’ve written about sarees before (here and here) since Bollywood has turned them into an international fashion statement wearing them in the limelight, especially when they wore them at the Cannes Film festivals.
You can customise this six feet of cloth in whatever draping style you want. The stylish brilliantly studded Bollywood sarees look great on the silver screen. You can get the diva look too with Bollywood sarees with my guide on how to buy and drape them.
How to Buy Bollywood Sarees Online
With the recent trend alert and fashion revolution in India, every online site now offers Bollywood sarees. Their popularity has increased tremendously with Indian women.
With popularity, a lot of online sites may offer bad quality. Here’s how you can ensure you are getting your money’s worth:
- Reviewing Bollywood sarees collections online before purchasing is a must.
- Buy sarees online from a reputed online store where you can check the customers’ feedback.
- Zoom in to check the quality of the material.
- Analyse the occasion for which you are buying it;
- Vibrant colours and embellished borders are good fit for parties.
- You can mix and match the colour of the blouse and get a very trendy look.
- Heavy embroidery sarees make a good fit for traditional functions, family get together and weddings.
Buying online is easiest option, especially if you don’t live in India!
Experimenting With Colours
Since, movie industry influences a major part of Indian fashion most of the young girls are now buying Bollywood sarees online:
- Select a colour that compliments your skin tone and features.
- Vibrant colours like pink, yellow, blue, purples are some of the top selected
- Others like deep purple, deep blue with golden border, bright fuchsia pink with fluorescent green prints and plain white saree are also popular.
- Digital and funny prints have given a some edge to sarees, they moved from simple floral prints to product prints and colour splash.
- Some chic ones are patterned owl, lipstick, stripes, and more.
Selecting the Blouse
- Bring a little zing to your wardrobe by choosing a patterned blouse.
- When you are going for plain colours, wear opposite colour blouse. The opposite combination instantly uplifts your personality.
Easy Steps to Drape a Saree
While there are many ways to wear a saree, I am going to describe the most common draping style below as a startup lesson. This was beautifully explained and photographed on The Society which was written by Little Black Sari blog. You will need a:
- saree fabric
- saree blouse
- saree skirt
- some safety pins
The How to…
1. Make sure your saree skirt sits well on your waist.
2. Take the saree from the unfinished end (the saree has 2 ends, one finished and the other is not) and tie a knot at the top corner.
3. Tuck the corner into your skirt to the right of your belly button to secure the saree.
3a. Tuck the sari into the skirt to the left of your belly button, and make one full turn as you continue tucking the sari into your skirt.
3b. To ensure the length of the saree is adjusted to your height, put on the shoes you want to wear with it so you can get the right length as you are draping the saree. The length should slightly brush the ground.
4. Grab the untucked portion by the corner with your left hand and pass it back behind to your right hand, pulling some of the fabric forward. Keep the corner in your right hand because this will serve as a guide when you start pleating the saree.
5. As you hold the corner in you right hand, use the left hand to find the opposite corner.
5a. Start pleating this end into accordion folds until you reach the end of the fabric.
6. Pin or clip the pleats together to keep them from falling.
7. Take the pleated section and drape over your left shoulder.
7a. Be sure to keep the border end facing out to your left and you can adjust the length to your preference.
7b. After you’ve adjusted the length, secure the pleated section with a safety pin onto your blouse to keep it from falling.
8. Grab the untucked leftover fabric and pull tight the top left portion of the fabric down at an angle towards your stomach. The tighter you pull, the more fitted it will sit on the bust.
9. Pin this section to your skirt.
10. Once again, grab the untucked portion of the saree and start pleating like an accordion until all of the fabric has been gathered into pleats.
11. Pin the pleated section together and tuck it into your skirt all while ensuring the length gently brushes the floor.
12. Pin the pleat and the skirt together, so it doesn’t fall apart.
12a. Adjust the saree to your liking and accessorise!
Bollywood sarees are really making a hit in the fashion scene thanks to Bollywood stars. When selecting Bollywood sarees online, it’s important to:
- Reviewing saree collections online.
- Buy from a reputed online store.
- Check the quality of the material.
- Analyse your occasion.
- Choose the colour you want based on what compliments your skin tone.
- Go funky with your blouse.
- Check out the tutorial to learn how to drape it.
This is Grace
Grace from Color & Grace. Based in Troy, Michigan, Grace is a 41 year-old petite woman who loves colours. Born and raised in China, she moved to America for love in 2007. Her day job – teacher. Her dream job – fashion blogger. Make sure to go and check out her blog and leave her a comment on her awesome outfit.
It’s Time for You to Link up
Make sure to follow your host
- Bloglovin: Grace & The WardrobeStylist
- Google +: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
- Instagram: Grace & The Wardrobe Stylist
Here’s a list of the linkups I link to.