Well hardware is definitely in. It’s very trendy now but I didn’t want to dish out the money on buying a new one. My excuse? I’m on a budget. Being on a budget forces you to become creative though. So I decided I can easily make one with some hardware store chains.
DIY Necklace Needs
To make the DIY necklace in chains, you’ll need:
- 1 thick chain
- 1 thinner chain
- hoop earring – make sure you get a sturdy one that can carry the weight of the chains
- measuring tape
The chains were purchased at Home Depot for $3! What a bargain!
The hoop I had from a missing earring, so that orphan earring didn’t go to waste.
You can opt for materials you already have that will give you the same end result.
How to Make the DIY Necklace
- Measure the length of where the DIY necklace will sit on your neck to where you want it to fall.
- Take that measurement to the thinner chain and double it as the necklace will go around your neck.
- Cut the thinner chain to the desired measurement.
- Measure the thicker chain per the measurement of the thinner chain but subtracted an inch or so so it can sit a little above the other chain.
- Double the measurement you took on the thicker chain and cut it with pliers.
- Took the hoop, open it and add both chains from the ends.
- Close the hoop to secure the chains in place.
The DIY necklace is ready!
Making this DIY necklace in chains was a really easy project that required little effort, material and dollars. It’s a fun project to do on the fly when you are on a budget and need new accessories to ramp up your wardrobe.
Have you ever DIY’d a necklace or accessory before?